To Participate on Thurstonblog

email yyyyyyyyyy58@gmail.com, provide profile information and we'll email your electronic membership


Friday, June 15, 2012

From the Founder

ThurstonBlog was initially, as most blogs, a place for me to put my thoughts and share them with whoever wanted to read them.  In late 2009, The Olympian lost control of their comments feature (something that hasn't changed) and threads began being shut down, primarily by people using the "report" feature.  They determined that if you clicked "report" three times (with three monikers) you would effectively eliminate that comment.  The result was that The Olympian's moderator, Tammy McGee, claimed the only thing she/they could do was shut down threads.  Interestingly, this became a tool for right wing agitators who didn't want discussion of certain subjects or want certain readers to comment.

ThurstonBlog had set idle, so I revived it, and with the help of a few others we turned it into a viable discussion place that The Olympian and right wing detrators can't control.

During the past few years, we've only had to moderate a few comments (mostly during the open posting days).  This goes to show the value of a membership system where people are held accountable for violations, but moderators will allow free speech, because we have no commercial interests, unlike The Olympian.

"Anonymous" has been a great "editor in chief and has contributed heavily to the content.  No one knows more about the value of Anonymous' work than me, during the time that Anonymous needed some respite.  So this brings me to my plea.

We have a great group of members who have contributed in the past.  I'd like to see more voices and a sharing of the workload to keep ThurstonBlog alive.  Our readership is about the same, on average, as it's been since 2009, but it would be great to see more contributions.  I purposefully have limited myself, just to make fools of the assholes who call this "Larry's Blog".  Since the 2009 revival, I never intended to be anything more than one contributor and one of two moderators.  I will stand on this principle indefinitely.

This is not The Olympian, masquerading as community news and comment, all the while exercising personal vindictiveness on some of its readers.  This isn't sondrak.com (or whatever it's called this week) who is pretending to be Michelle Malkin and participating in the "I Suck Your Ass" Blog Awards.  ThurstonBlog is truly a membership media that provides a format for adult discussion.  Make it happen for yourselves.

Ok, I'm going back to sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous98507 said...

I second Larry's message. The more commentary posted by members the better!