To Participate on Thurstonblog

email yyyyyyyyyy58@gmail.com, provide profile information and we'll email your electronic membership


Tuesday, October 9, 2007

I care!

The following is a copy of a blog response from me in Olyblog. The originator of the blog asks the question "who cares about someone critiquing the content or actions of The Olympia (I've obviously paraphrased):

The same could be said about Olyblog.
If you see something you don't like in Olyblog:
1. Don't read it.
2. Address the blogger directly and take your chance that the blogger may engage in conversation in return, which, to my understanding is what blogging is all about.
I would prefer to direct my comments to the moderators, editors and such of the newspaper, but it seems that they can't take that direction. We've even had a moderator pull a "libel" threat out of an section of the anatomy to attempt to stifle the right to satire and sarcasm in Olyblog, all for the sake of attempting to quell any kind of criticism of the activities at said newspaper. For a newspaper that is quick to judge and criticize the job performance of others, they find every way to run and hide from someone that has enough knowledge and guts to analyze their performance. Of course, it's often forgotten, as this time, that on many occasions, I've applauded the newspaper and also defended their position and coverage.

I worked in newspapers from 1970 to 1983. I consulted rural newspapers from 1985 to 1989. I owned an agency from 1989 to 1999 that focused on print media. I've shared beverages with the very people I've disagreed with earlier in a day. They've stated their dislike of my position, I've returned favor. I've only experienced ONE newspaper that attempts to stop people from voicing their opinion and keeping the opinion of others from the public. The possiblity of corporate media ruining the very freedom that we've celebrated in this country for over 200 years is frightening.

Frankly, the apathy on this issue is more frightening than the activity.

1 comment:

refdaddy said...

The thought of a newspaper banning "free speech" is apauling. Unless you are doing the equivelent of yelling fire in the crowded movie theater, what is the big threat? The Olympian would be better served following up on blogger comments on stories and such to make their product better.Can you think of a better way to reach readers one on one? Can you imagine the dialogue available between writer and reader never available before because of the internet? Can you imagine the possibilities of increased circulation when the writer invites the reader to comment and then they make that dialogue public? Makes too much sense though, will never happen. One reason why subscriptions are down and internet media site use is up.
I am an old time print guy and the state of newspapers today sickens me.