To Participate on Thurstonblog

email yyyyyyyyyy58@gmail.com, provide profile information and we'll email your electronic membership


Monday, November 5, 2012

Romney got caught with his hand in the cookie jar with his lies about Jeep production in China

..................................................................................................................................
Remarks By President Obama And President Clinton At A Campaign Event In Concord, NH
Transcript posted November 5, 2012
[snipped]

Now, let’s look at the decision Mr. Romney made.  When he couldn’t get out of the fact that he actually did oppose the automobile plan, he starts saying that President Obama is allowing Jeep to move American jobs to China.  Did you see that? I take it personally because I helped Jeep locate that -- well, I helped the state of Ohio get Jeep to locate a plant in Toledo, and I know they’re expanding it.  They’ve put $500 million in it. They’re going to produce new lines there.  I know they’re expanding in Michigan.  And it’s just not true. 

They made a lot of money so they can reopen a plant they closed down in China to sell Jeeps there -- because Jeeps are heavy, you can't afford to ship them from here to China.  But they’re expanding in America. 

So when Jeep said it wasn’t so, they kept making the charge. When Chrysler said it wasn’t so, they kept making the charge.  Even General Motors said, this is not true.  They doubled down on the charge, and then they pointed out that Jeep is owned by Chrysler, is owned by Fiat.  So then the charge became, the President is working with the Italians -- (laughter) -- to move jobs to China.  (Laughter.)  In a few days they’re going to come after the Irish and I'm toast.  (Laughter.) 

Now, we're laughing, but it’s absurd.  Is that the kind of “decider-in-chief” you want?  I don't think so.

AUDIENCE:  No!

PRESIDENT CLINTON:  The guy got caught red-handed, saying something that wasn’t accurate.  But we all make mistakes.  And it’s not a lie unless you know it’s not true when you say it.  Now, when I was a kid and I got caught with my hand in the cookie jar, I sort of turned red, shrugged my shoulders and take my hand out of the cookie jar.  He’s grabbing for more cookies!

[snipped]
..................................................................................................................................

No comments: