To Participate on Thurstonblog

email yyyyyyyyyy58@gmail.com, provide profile information and we'll email your electronic membership


Thursday, February 2, 2012

A gay mans comment

As many of you know, I am openly gay (whatever that means...I don't brag about it, but I don't deny it, either. It's simply a part of who I am..)

BTW..is there such a thing as being "openly heterosexual"???

Anyway, I asked my partner of 25+ years the other night if he wanted to get married.

We'd had this discussion before, but now that the moment is actually at hand, we basically decided, "Why should we?".

We've had power of attorney agreements for years, wills, etc...It just seems silly to spend the money for a piece of paper to try and validate the love we've had for each other for almost 3 decades..

I'm glad the gay marriage act has passed, but even if it had failed, it doesn't take a thing away from the love and joy I've had for almost 30 years..

Thanks for the support from all of you, and boo-hoo to the haters out there..

But tomorrow, the sun will rise, life will go on, and I'll just hug my partner, my brother, my best friend, a little bit tighter, and let him know how much his friendship and love have meant to me...

..And I'll be happy...

The rest of the idiots can go to hell, basically

8 comments:

Anonymous98507 said...

"Openly heterosexual"? Guess there should be such a term just for the religiosos since it seems to be so important to them! :-)

My spouse and I cohabited for several years and might not have gotten married if it hadn't been for the need for health insurance. I worked for the state and my spouse didn't have insurance. Also, the $60 marriage license with the subsequent perks was cheaper than having to pay to have wills made, etc., etc. :-)

But you're right, the piece of paper doesn't really add a whole lot to the total picture. I'm happy, though, that you and your partner are so secure in your relationship.

xyzzy said...

Good for you! I sincerely hope that the option to marry becomes available, should you, for whatever reason, decide differently.

sidrat38 said...

Thanks.

I guess I look at this issue a bit differently, since it is something that could directly affect my life.

I estimate my partner and I spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500 to have our legal affairs put in order..and we STILL don't get the federal benefits afforded to most married couples...

I guess we just want "special rights"

*sigh*

Anonymous98507 said...

"special rights"? What an overflowing crock of shit--there ain't no such thing! They're all just plain ol' regular rights.

a real winer said...

A marriage license is another piece of legal paper, and it ought to be available to committed couples like you and your partner, sidrat. It sounds like you've done a good job of following your hearts and taking care of each other over the years, so this particular piece of paper may not have any more meaning for you than any other. Blessings to you both.

xyzzy said...

No, you don't want special rights, you just want to be treated fairly and equivalently, which is a completely reasonable expectation.

xyzzy said...

Of course you know that, and you're just quoting the bigots.

Kardnos said...

You should have to marry and suffer just like I do.

I can say that with a smile as you've met my wife.