To Participate on Thurstonblog

email yyyyyyyyyy58@gmail.com, provide profile information and we'll email your electronic membership


Sunday, June 5, 2011

Initiative drives - Eyman style

While stopping at Fred Meyer in Tumwater during the holiday weekend, I was approached by signature collectors at the front door on Fred Meyer property.  They had three intiative petitions.

One was allegedly to "stop cruelty to animals".  One was allegedly to "make sure that people working with the elderly have background checks" and finally.....good old 1025 - the one with Eyman's name on it.

Being me.....I was more than happy to engage them and said "there is already a law about background checks" to which I was told "THEY are trying to stop it".  I asked "who is "THEY"?  Response - "The government".  My question - "which government"?  Response "The Governor!!!"

Now we all know (actually we all don't know) that the governor doesn't legislate.  Lie #1 on their part.

Cruelty to animals?  Already laws against it.

So.....what is really going on?  Possible fake petitions to collect signatures that will end up on 1025?  It wouldn't surprise me.  Since Sam Reed is a friend, you can bet that we'll be talking about this.

What I'm actually betting is that the other two petitions are actually about other issues but they use those "headlines" as the emotional ploy to get your attention.

Oh...by the way...when I asked too many questions, one of the collectors got hostile with me.  I told him not to talk to me like that and he said "I can talk to you any way I want, anywhere".  To which I said...."oh, freedom of speech, huh?  Well then....GO TO HELL!!!"  (LMAO)

Now...the interesting part.  Fred Meyer will not do anything about them other than give you a pre-printed post card to send to their corporate lawyers to tell them what you think.

I'm telling them with my dollars that I no longer spend at Fred Meyer stores.  Pretty damned stupid of them when Albertson's is right across the street and Costco is next door.  (by the way Costco has a great relationship with their union workers....unlike Fred)

4 comments:

Kardnos said...

http://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/initiatives/people.aspx

You can check all initiatives here. Read over the alphabet soup from #1162 to about 1170 and tell me what you make of the background check issue. If it needs to be "reinstated", when was it removed? I don't know of a company that will hire a caregiver without a background check.

Anonymous98507 said...

Larry, did you notice that one of these sets of words appears in most of those initiatives?

* if amended in 2011
* if any amendments are enacted in 2011
* If the legislature amends certain statutes ...
* This measure would reverse any 2011 amendments to certain laws ...

The same sponsors show up over and over, and they didn't even bother to wait to see if what they objected to was going to be passed by the legislature-- they posted the measures "just in case"!
.

Kardnos said...

There is a movement to raise the filing fee from $50 to $500 to avoid frivolous initiatives and the inherent costs to the state.

Eyman will squeal WEE WEE WEE all the way home

Kardnos said...

Here's a beaut....

glenn -
Eyeman has saved countless millions from being squandered by politicians.

Read more: http://www.theolympian.com/2011/06/04/1675374/letter-of-the-month-eyman-must.html#disqus_thread#ixzz1OV9LXyyr

"countless"???? You betcha!!!