To Participate on Thurstonblog

email yyyyyyyyyy58@gmail.com, provide profile information and we'll email your electronic membership


Saturday, January 29, 2011

S'pose there are any politicians as honorable as former Mariner Gil Meche?

....................
Royals pitcher does ‘right thing,’ gives up $12 million

Former Kansas City Royals pitcher Gil Meche is a rarity in professional sports. His contract guaranteed him a $12 million salary this year, even though he was too injured to be a starting pitcher. But Meche didn’t feel right about being paid when he couldn’t play, so he retired, freeing the Royals from the contract. “When I signed my contract, my main goal was to earn it,” he told the New York Times. “Once I started to realize I wasn’t earning my money, I felt bad. I was making a crazy amount of money for not even pitching. Honestly, I didn’t feel like I deserved it. I didn’t want to have those feelings again.” No doubt the decision to retire was made easier by the $40 million the Royals have paid Meche over the past four years. But it would have been even easier to take the additional $12 million he was due. He didn’t, saying, “it just wasn’t the right thing to do.”
.....................

No comments: