To Participate on Thurstonblog

email yyyyyyyyyy58@gmail.com, provide profile information and we'll email your electronic membership


Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Political typology: where do you stand?

..........................................
Beyond Red vs. Blue

2011 Pew Research Political Typology

The Pew Research Center’s Political Typology is a longstanding effort to sort Americans into cohesive groups based on their values, political beliefs and party affiliation. The 2011 Political Typology is the fifth study of its kind, following on previous typologies in 1987, 1994, 1999 and 2005. Like the previous studies, the new typology reveals substantial political and social differences within as well as across the two political parties.  It also provides insights into the political and social values of independents, a growing segment of the American electorate, but one that is far from unified in terms of values and ideological beliefs.

Take the quiz
..........................................

17 comments:

sidrat38 said...

Wow..I came out as a solid liberal..

..who knew?

Heheh

Anonymous98507 said...

You and me both, sidrat38! Who woulda thunk..... VBEG

Spinnaker said...

I guess that makes three of us. It was encouraging to see that the majority of Americans agree with us on gay rights and immigration policy.

Kardnos said...

On the majority of questions, I would have answered somewhere between the choices, but leaned liberal.

LostOnAnIsland said...

It says I'm a Post-Modern but I think of myself as more of a Abstract Expressionist.

Anonymous98507 said...

Guess you'll have to change your avatar, then? :-)

xyzzy said...

I took the quiz twice, because some of the answers were two black and white for me. I didn't really fully agree with either.

Results:

Pass 1: Solid Liberal
Pass 2: Post-Modern

Did some more experimentation - the difference between them was a single answer.

xyzzy said...

I'd say I'm fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

xyzzy said...

OK, in the process of editing my original response I ended up with "two black and white" instead of "too". I really do know the difference.

If only I could learn to read my posts before I submit them....

LostOnAnIsland said...

Xyzzy, what was the question that made the difference?

LostOnAnIsland said...

Is this avatar
abstract expressionist?

a real winer said...

OMG, I'm a solid liberal, too!

There were a few questions I would've preferred a more "middle" choice, so maybe I'll go back and retake it to see what the difference would be.

Believe it or not, I used to like the Libertarian perspective when I was in my early 20s.

a real winer said...

Lost, that avatar has a more Impressionist look to it. Check out Willem de Kooning or Jackson Pollock for Abstract Expressionism.

LostOnAnIsland said...

Just imagine if Mr. Pollock had been fixated with the concept of a wee monkey riding on a pig.

xyzzy said...

This one:

Racial discrimination is the main reason why many black people can't get ahead these days
vs
Blacks who can't get ahead in this country are mostly responsible for their own condition

But only when I answered the following with the first (by mistake). Otherwise I was Post-Modern all the time.

Our country has made the changes needed to give blacks equal rights with whites
vs
Our country needs to continue making changes to give blacks equal rights with whites

I'm sure though it was also a balance of the others. Though frankly, many of those were also too polarized for me. I've taken longer political spectrum quizzes and usually end up just a bit left of center.

xyzzy said...

Oh and by the way, Lost, no thanks to you for putting that damn song back in my head!!! :-)

As he sings softly under his breath "Riding backwards on a pig, baby monkey..."

Kardnos said...

Oh Lord!!!

Baby monkey, baby monkey, backwards on a pig, baby monkey...