To Participate on Thurstonblog

email yyyyyyyyyy58@gmail.com, provide profile information and we'll email your electronic membership


Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Well, time to tell the truth

Since The Olympian has shown their true colors, I guess I'll let the cat out of the bag.

The following, is the moderated version of the comment thread earlier posted on ThurstonBlog:

  • What a waste of a letter. Everything he says is wrong. There is ZERO evidence that the shooting was linked to any political rhetoric. There already are sensible gun laws and there's no evidence any new laws would have prevented this. Kind of reminds me of a frequent letter writter to the Tacoma News Tribune named Larry P. Hill


  • Comment removed.


  • Hi Larry, I thought you didn't read the Olympian anymore? LOL!!! Oh and as usual you are wrong. You have posted 4 letters to the editor and that's just what I could find within the last few minutes! I would say 4 letters within the last few months qualifies as a frequent writer.





  • As you can see, the moderator edited my comment as "radecliar" which demonstrates that they do, in fact, moderate. I did this purposefully, as I will explain.

    About a month or so ago, I contacted McClatchey Corporate offices because of violation of my privacy in The Olympian.  About 45 minutes afterwards, I got a call from The Olympian Publisher.  George was apologetic - something about "Disqus" was screwed up and The Olympian staff couldn't edit the violation.  We spoke on the phone for awhile and agreed to meet for coffee.  I thought that maybe we had found some common ground and arranged a lunch with a friend of mine - a major advertiser in The Olympian.  I was perfectly willing to attempt to make peace, if you will.

    A week or two later, I registered and posted one comment, which was pulled almost immediately.  I sent George an email inquiring why, and I got no reply.

    Now we have "radec" going out of her way to drag my name into The Olympian.  The moderation is that my name stays and my reply is edited.

    Here is where it gets interesting.  George told me that newspapers can't moderate, or they will be held liable for all moderation.  As usual, moderation in The Olympian is selective, thus liable.  There must be an attorney in town who they have pissed off in the past.

    I have purposefully stayed away from The Olympian, other than an occasional look and a comment in ThurstonBlog.  "radec's" comment was emailed to me by a friend.  It appears that The Olympian staff doesn't want to control their comments, so....let the good times roll.

    Sorry, George.  I trusted you.  My bad. 

    I guess I'm in a better position to be your opposition.  At least I know what to expect.

    An African-American friend of mine once said - "I don't mind the KKK.  I know what to expect from them"

    Brilliant words.

    No comments: