To Participate on Thurstonblog

email yyyyyyyyyy58@gmail.com, provide profile information and we'll email your electronic membership


Saturday, April 17, 2010

Elderly?!

DJW wrote on 04/17/2010 11:38:15 AM:
Steve Belosi, attacked an elderly woman at the rally until she started to cry.LarryakaLarry,I guess it depends on your definition of 'attack'. According to this alleged first-person http://bobmccarty.com/2010/04/17/missouri-tea-party-provocateur-spills-beans/ interview, Belosi claims to have yelled at a 59yro woman and could have made fun of her. Now, I know internet bloggers/journalists/citizen media like to use inflammatory terms to make a point. When you say 'attack' I wonder how many people think of a physical confrontation resulting in bodily injury. Verbal 'attacks' in some situations (unfortunately) are protected as 'free speech'. In any event, Belosi verbally attacked someone (allegedly) and may have acted like a complete idiot. For whatever reason he chose to yell at someone. I have no idea why some people choose to 1) YELL at people they disagree with 2) why 'journalists' love to use inflammatory statements to garner attention.

Had been hearing references to this "attack on an elderly woman" incident, but until DJW injected his usual voice of reason based on facts, I had no idea the "elderly woman" in question was a 59 yr. old. who can't even retire or collect SS for another 5 or 6 six years. What kind of young punk thinks 59 is elderly?? Not merely inflammatory journalism, it's an outstanding example of hyperbole and demagoguery.

Maybe, just maybe I'm hypersensitive because I've spent the better part of a year being 59, but not even the teenagers I work would call me "elderly
". And don't think that's just because they're being nice, because 16 yr. olds are very good at keeping other people humble
:).

5 comments:

Anonymous98507 said...

Every year I have another birthday, the definition of "elderly" gets bumped upward another year, too. As far as I'm concerned at this stage (several years older than 59), "elderly" now means someone in their mid- to late-'80s. :-)

Kardnos said...

This just isn't right! Winer is a bit older than me and looks about 10 years younger.

a real winer said...

Anon 98507, I totally agree w/ your definition. I know several folks who've hit 70, and they're not a bit elderly... like they say, 70 is the new 50.

Larry, you are too kind. And thanks for taking the sting out of reading that 59 yr. old women are "elderly". We don't even get senior citizen discounts yet.

Kardnos said...

Who is "we" Winer?

I've passed for 62 and took the damned discount!!!

a real winer said...

LOL. Such a dilema, do I want people to think I'm not old enough, or do I want the discount?

Must've been a kid who thought you were 62. Remember when we didn't think we could trust anyone over 30?