To Participate on Thurstonblog

email yyyyyyyyyy58@gmail.com, provide profile information and we'll email your electronic membership


Monday, April 5, 2010

Pitts on the Westboro Baptist Church court decision



****************************************

You will be furious when you finish this column. Fair warning.

In March 2006, a 20-year-old Marine, Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, was killed in a motor vehicle accident in Iraq. His family probably thought that the most painful blow imaginable. Truth is, their pain was only beginning.

Cpl. Snyder’s death, you see, came to the attention of Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kan. Westboro, for those who do not know, is no more a church than is your average gas station toilet.
[snipped]
I admit to being conflicted. I am a strong believer in the First Amendment and in the principle that freedom of speech means nothing unless it is protected for the vilest among us: even the flag burner, even the anti-Semite, even, as in this case, the intellectually incontinent.
[snipped]
I am consumed with a “human” question: How addled by hatred do you have to be, how niggardly of spirit, shriveled of soul and just plain “crazy,” to do what these people have done? To use one of my mother’s favorite expressions, these “Christians” are going to knock the bottom out of hell.
[snipped]
****************************************
Now we come to the commenters..... sigh..... not much difference between the ones on The News Tribune than on the Olympian, viz:

tree_guy wrote on 04/04/2010 08:39:15 AM:
When Westboro Baptist complains about homosexuality that's a bad thing.

When Leonard Pitts complains about caucasians that's a good thing.

Followed by:

TMell wrote on 04/04/2010 08:46:08 AM:
He was so close to writing a race-bating free article, then he has to absurdly stick a hyphenated version of the "N" word in there just because he is Leonard......I read this article and was so amazed by the clarity of thought, and rationale used. It is a hard situation.

And...

geeterpontiac wrote on 04/04/2010 05:41:19 PM:
Yes, almost a great piece and one must really wonder about the state of the judiciary that ruled on this case. And, as TMell mentioned, he was oh so close to avoiding any racial dialogue at all. Just couldn't pass it by. Oh well. [snipped]

****************************************

OK, WTH are they talking about? Did I somehow miss a version of the “n” word? Surely they don't think "niggardly" or "anti-Semite" are racist?



15 comments:

Kardnos said...

"Race baiting" is the new term for Conservatives to avoid the embarrassment of the obvious.

sidrat38 said...

I once had the opportunity to listen to Fred Phelps daughter having an interview with Dave Ross..

What a Pschyo!!!

She wouldn't answer any of his questions..

Just kept droning on and on about how gays were destroying America..

Gee..If us lowly 10% have that much power..Why Am I not the omniprescent all-being of time, space and dimension????

Better watch yourself, IV, according to the Phelps'..

I HAVE THE POWER TO DESTROY ALL OF AMERICA!!!!

MUHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAH

sidrat38 said...

I think I'll start by using my power to convert all of America's children and turn them gay..

Anybody wanna take any bets as to how successful I'll be??

(Yeah..sounds ludicrious, right???)

Unfortunately, there are some people out there who believe it can happen.....

LostOnAnIsland said...

Sidrat, can you use your gay super powers to help me dance. I have been afflicted with the white mans curse of two left feet and there is a wedding coming up.

sidrat38 said...

LOL, Lost...

Consider it done..

*POOF*

(Sidrat sprinkles magic gay pixie dust on Lost's dancing shoes)

WARNING...side effects may include the desire to wear designer clothes, to decorate your home in a tasteful manner, and to use words like "fabulous" and "epitome"..

;)

LostOnAnIsland said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LostOnAnIsland said...

Thanks Sidrat, not complaining but all my chest hair came out but I do look absolutely fabulous in my Jocko jeans and Dolce & Gabbana shirt. None the less the deerhead is staying on the wall.

I hate it when I hit publish and then find typos.

Anonymous98507 said...

Well, today, 4/6, this is being published in the O.... anybody here care to wager how many of the comments will be vilely hateful?

I wish Pitts' columns could be published without his name. Maybe then the commenters would get past the fact that Pitts is the author.

sidrat38 said...

Well, I wish I could have seen the comments,but they seem to have been deleted....

Once again, I demonstrate the POWER of one gay man....

MUWHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHA!

BEWARE MY POWER, BREEDERS!!!!!!


:)
QUAKE IN FEAR

HIDE YOUR CHILDREN>>>>

sidrat38 said...

Ya Know, I'm the most non descript gay man ever invented..

I know more about sports than IV ever will..

I don't define myself by my sexuality...

But it's a part of who I am..

And I REFUSE to be ashamed by it..

If anyone else has a problem with that, well, then .....that's THEIR problem..

Something out of my control..

(Although I do love being able to control them.....)

QUAKE IN FEAR OF ME!!!!!

sidrat38 said...

And to all, it goes without saying that I try not to be "in your face"..

But when people attack me, you better believe I'm going to bite back...

If people want to take issue with that..

Bring it...

I'm always ready for a battle of wits...

..just don't come unarmed...

Anonymous98507 said...

sidrat, the only comment on this article so far is yours.... the haters apparently haven't discovered it yet.

LostOnAnIsland said...

I got your back sidrat. When I write in here I just assume the conservative, homophobic, racist, uptight, doucebags are reading it and I think that's great. They have only themselves to blame if they are offended(fingers crossed) by anything we say here.
By the way, I guarantee you know more about sports than me and I'm as straight as the day is long except when I'm around homophobs.

Anonymous98507 said...

As of 1:15 pm today the comment count is 31 minus two that have been removed, and 15 of the still-existing 29 are from the usual hateful fools (IV, glenn, dalecon, cheesy, etc.).

sidrat38 said...

I'm sorry, all

For those of you that have met me, you'll know that IV has more interest in gay sex than I do

I won't apologize