To Participate on Thurstonblog

email yyyyyyyyyy58@gmail.com, provide profile information and we'll email your electronic membership


Friday, September 17, 2010

FYI, Disqus News Tribune

I visited the News Tribune, after a layoff of a month or so, and much to my surprise - DISQUS!

I suggest that everyone get ready. Start by taking a look at http://www.thenewstribune.com/

Look at the lead and regional stories. They are the same stories that you'll find in The Olympian. I had already noticed that many "Olympian" stories were originated in Tacoma (C.R. Roberts is a long time News Tribune employee)


If the stage isn't being set for a one newspaper region, I'll eat my hat. As it is right now, I'd estimate that 60% of the content (give or take) is mutual (both papers same) the rest is local advertising (which is becoming too expensive for small businesses) and a little bit of "local" news.

I'll bet that McClatchy could save a buttload of money if they'd close that plant, sell the equipment, sell the property and operate advertising sales offices, with limited editorial staffing in the South Sound.

I've been around long enough to see the Post Intelligencer go from a thriving newspaper to a joint operating agreement to nothing. Valley Newspapers, my former employer, was sold to Donrey Media then to another group and still another group and then pieced out about three years ago.

The handwriting is on the wall.

No comments: