To Participate on Thurstonblog

email yyyyyyyyyy58@gmail.com, provide profile information and we'll email your electronic membership


Saturday, September 18, 2010

Just for the record

"Anon_the_Great said...
Maybe Larry should start a hate mail section so we can all bask in the wisdom of Tea Baggers."

Love the sarcasm, as always, Anon. Your comment does provoke some though on my part though. Bear with me readers, this isn't simple.


I have participated on The Olympian Forums since 2006, just about 4 years. During the Aaron Mason Administration, I was suspended for using the word "ass" (said word is in the 10th Commandment of the King James Bible). I disputed the validity of my suspension versus many of the blatant rules violations I witnessed on a daily basis. I was told, by Mason, that if I had a complaint, I should report the violators as they happened.

During the next week, I reported 15 times - legitimate complaints about true violations. Mason got angry and told me "this will not help change your suspension". Interesting statement, huh? I responded that I was not intending on changing anything, but doing exactly what I was told to do when offended by a comment. The ongoing battles between Mason and myself spilled over into Olyblog, where he threatened liable action (not knowing my Mrs worked in the legal field for the State) because I satired that he got sexual pleasure from banning people. Frankly, I would have loved his testimony in court proving that my statement was false, but I digress.

OK...change of players and along come Lui Long and his bitch Tammy McGee (see the Urban Dictionary for several fitting definitions of my use of the word "bitch"). While cleaning up my emails a couple of days ago, I counted 24 emails sent to The Olympian concerning violations of my privacy, violations of copyrighted materials and defamation of character - all of which has been witnessed by ThurstonBlog members - so I'm only as crazy as everyone else is.

Why should ANYONE have to send 24 valid complaints to The Olympian about such issues? Isn't that what moderation is all about? Mind you, this doesn't account for the number of times that I just ignored the provoker or poked back at them (if I decide to play, I have no right to complain).

Now, I don't want this to be "all about Larry and The Olympian". So.....

I've participated in a comments blog on Chronline.com. I've never had a comment deleted. I've had a few hot discussions, but The Chronicle's moderator jumps in early in the fray to remind people of the rules. I've never been banned. I did have an ultra-conservative attack Big Brothers Big Sisters with false statements about homosexuals and predatory practices and we were able to talk through the issue, complete with me offering this person to meet face to face with me. I contacted The Chronicle early in the game and told the moderator that unless this person was flagrant in a violation, to give them space. What happened is that all other commenters chastised this person for his obvious attempt to malign a great program. "DARK WING DAVE" occasionally posts on The Olympian, but there didn't recognize me.

Bottom line, a well moderated forum eliminates the majority of the problems. There is one "liberal" that has been banned from Chronline and frankly, I support their action. "Chuck" doesn't stick to issues, other than he is pissed off at the conservative media of Lewis County. Well, OK, Chuck, we get it. Now try the topics. Chuck is the Left Wing IV of Lewis County

Next - The Tacoma News Tribune. I'm a former employee (many years removed) and was born and raised in Tacoma. I know the soft spots and the pressure points, much to the chagrin of certain commenters, but - again - not so much as a warning has ever been issued by The News Tribune to Larry the Blogger. I've been enjoying the TNT for the past couple of days and have dig into the ribs of a few Tea Party numbskulls - using facts and data, just what they hate. Not a word of warning from the moderators nor a deletion.

I illustrate all of this to stipulate a point. Moderation is the key to a successful blog or forum. When you see people who are obviously making personal attacks that have nothing to do with the topic or are attempting to malign or deface other participants, THAT is your offender, not the person who argues their point supported with data to prove their argument. If I'm as bad as Lui, Tammy, Mason or whoever want to try to make me, why are they the only media with which I seem to have problems?

What has happened at The Olympian is nothing short of a personal vendetta, leveled first at Anon (who I still say Tammy thought was me) and then me. It's a sad statement of the condition of what is left of our local newspaper. Many times, I'm the one that comes to the aid of The Olympian when they are attacked by people that don't comprehend the business. I once had a good relationship with their former publisher, until a moderator got his undies in a bunch and told falsehoods about my conduct online (we all know how they love to misrespresent the issues). While commenting on The Olympian is not the beginning nor the end, as someone who spent the years 1970 to 1990 working at newspapers, I'm disgusted at the lack of credibity on the part of those who are supposed to remain neutral.

A dear friend of mine, sales and advertising manager for a local retailer has continued on an annual basis to strip mine part of his Olympian budget in favor of direct mail. Each year, Olympian Ad Staff and Managers take their plea to him to not trim their budget. Each year they ask him what they need to do to improve their position. Each year he says "you don't want to hear the truth". They claim they do, so he proceeds to tell them how they need to improve their product to make a more conducive vehicle for his advertising needs. Each year, nothing changes, other than he keeps spending less of his money in The Olympian

I'll close this journal with a tried and true thought - If you do the same thing over and over, and expect different results, THAT is the definition of insanity.

10 comments:

Anonymous98507 said...

It's obvious that the majority of the insanity erupts from the IT portion of the Olympian's staff. Larry, has your friend plainly told the Olympian's PTBs that as long as they give free rein to the IT people, they shouldn't expect his money?
.

xyzzy said...

Myself, I'm just waiting for the O to be shut down. Can't say that I'll miss it.

Anonymous98507 said...

It'll be a damned shame, though. I think this would be one of a very few state capitols to be without its own local newspaper.
.

a real winer said...

It's apparent to me over the last couple of months that the O is being taken over/morphed into the Tribune. More stories are about Pierce Co., more "regional" type stuff, instead of the more local slant on the news. And the depth and quality of what is reported locally is more shallow that ever, when it happens.
We're going to have a regional paper, probably sooner than later.

Kardnos said...

98507 - My friend doesn't have that much reign, he answers to a family that has been in Olympian for over 50 years and the elder thinks newspaper advertising is a necessity. He is the one that Mason deleted thinking it was me. It was a classic example of how the ego leads with the chin. Interestingly, he is an old newspaper guy, also.

As to state capitol with no newspaper - the industry is just not that touchy feeling anymore. It's all about dollars, and that doesn't mean just income. They can accept the lack of income if they can make the lack of cost of doing business proportionate or lower.

Xyzzy - you might want to take a peek at an earlier blog I did and check out thenewstribune.com.

Kardnos said...

When I worked for Valley Newspapers, we had three separate newspapers - Auburn Globe News, Kent News Journal, Renton Record Chronicle. An advertiser could purchase, one, two or three, dependent on need and the reader was getting local news, because you had local small businesses that could afford to advertise. Later, after corporate ownership from out of state, the pencil pushers decided on the new improved "Valley Daily News".

Today, the Green River Valley is thick with business and still a wealthy community to serve. The Valley Daily News closed their doors forever about 2 years ago and moved the presses to another location to do commercial work.

Yes, folks. Piss off the local readers and it WILL happen. It's just a matter of when.

Kardnos said...

CORRECTION - of sorts.

I just found out that Sound Publishing (once based on Bainbridge) is publishing three local media in the Green River Valley (as it appears). At least online media.

All local stories and features.


What does that tell you about sucessful publishing, folks?

xyzzy said...

I have been doing more reading of News Tribune and Seattle papers in lieu of the O. I didn't expect the Trib to be any different, but apparently McClatchy does not provide as much guidance to individual papers as it should.

Anonymous98507 said...

Interestingly enough, I've found that I will receive responses when I contact Karen Peterson at the Trib. I don't get responses from anybody of her level at the Zero after I contact them. No further comment needed, right?
.

Kardnos said...

98507 - this is a "Tammy versus ThurstonBlog" issue. No question.

Has Tammy figured about that we we truly about a dozen people that have banded together because of her ineptness?

I'm still trying to figure out my 650+ profile viewings, though. Why would anyone look more than once - other than me?

My guess is that we have a whole bunch of transient traffic that choose to not become authors. We do have some people that have signed up to "follow" the blog, whose names I'm not familiar with.