To Participate on Thurstonblog

email yyyyyyyyyy58@gmail.com, provide profile information and we'll email your electronic membership


Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Rate Disqus

Aside from the crappy advance notice, what do you think of the new comments forum on The Olympian?

I like the format and the ability to direct an answer to a comment without copying and pasting it, but the comment can get buried. Look at chronline.com's "BUZZ" for a great format and the ability to direct to a comment, but the posting sequence continues chronologically.

I'm enjoying that "likes" (formerly recommend) cannot be done for you own post. Sloboda, ssuron67 and you know who must be going absolutely batshit about that.


Whattaya think?

5 comments:

Anonymous98507 said...

Haven't had much time yet to "experience" it (Comcast Internet AND TV went down around 6:30 pm yesterday and was still down when I shut everything down around 3:30 am this morning).

I notice that I have a profile page again, but so far I haven't found how to view someone else's profile pages. Anybody know if that's possible?

I'd like to see "thumbs down" in addition to "thumbs up".

It appears that there aren't any character limits per comment which could be good and bad. I'm waiting to see if there is a "bad words" list. (Pluck wouldn't allow the word "link" which was stupid!)

I heartily dislike all the social networking crap and linkage! I deliberately have not joined Facebook or any of the other social networking sites, and from my first look at the Disqus website, it appears that ultimately Disqus is attempting to force us in that direction.

Basically I'm still in the "wait and see" mode.
.

Anon_the_Great said...

After my initial snark I gotta say I like the new format.

One thing I'm wondering about is how I've managed to trigger an instant review of my comment. I'm experimenting with language to see if it is a word or a phrase that triggers the "Your comment is being reviewed by our Moderators" algorithm.

I invite everyone to play around and find the boundaries of acceptable speech.

Anon_the_Great said...

Fucking and Freakin' trip the algorithm.

Anonymous98507 said...

Laurian, does it allow "fracking" or its permutations? LOL
.

Kardnos said...

"ass over teakettle" doesn't pass the test