To Participate on Thurstonblog

email yyyyyyyyyy58@gmail.com, provide profile information and we'll email your electronic membership


Friday, December 18, 2009

Freedom to abuse

From The O.....


LarryTheStableGuy wrote on 12/18/2009 12:26:21 PM:
This comment has been hidden and is pending site review. Click here if you wish to view.
Sparkle:It's just the children playing with the system again.The comments will be back.

sparkle wrote on 12/18/2009 12:17:14 PM:
This comment has been hidden and is pending site review. Click here if you wish to view.
Larry, and what I took away from the "Bucket filler" is that we reap what we sow. Being pleasant to one another, raises ourselves up, and conversely the reverse takes place. My previous post, which is pending review, is stating that what we are doing here by bullying one another collectively puts us in a very empty bucket, and serves nobody.However, what is stated on other web-sites / blogs have no bearing on the LTE thread, or our collective "bucket" and thus is irrelevant.What offense, or possibly off topic reason for pending review I do not understand.


LarryTheStableGuy wrote on 12/18/2009 11:25:11 AM:
This comment has been hidden and is pending site review. Click here if you wish to view.
Sparkle:What I got from the "bucket filler" was a program that socializes kids so that we have potential adults with feelings and not a culture of social misfits that "do what they want".We saw the results of "do what I want" recently and five of our police officers are gone as a direct result of that sort of thinking.

sparkle wrote on 12/18/2009 11:19:09 AM:
This comment has been hidden and is pending site review. Click here if you wish to view.
Karmen Galvin wrote: "The bucket filler program is based on the simple idea that each of us has a bucket that we carry around with us that holds our feelings about ourselves. When we show kindness, appreciation, and love toward others, our bucket fills up and we feel happy. When we, or others, say or do things that take those good feelings away from us, we feel sad. "Wow, maybe many of us should take with us our "feeling" bucket, and re-evaluate our words. Attacking others because of what they say on the LTE comments,because of differing ideologies is pointless, to attack an individual based on posts they make in an unrelated, personal blog is entirely something else.There are more then one people who regularly post here, who also have their own blog. some I enjoy, others I won't give the time of day. That said, what they post on their own blog is TOTALLY their own business.



When a comment is "hidden" in The Olympian and you copy and paste it, the "hidden" message and the original post all come up on this blog. I've bold faced the "hiddens" for reference.

As anyone can see, there is nothing whatsoever wrong with the posts and I know that this was not the work of The Olympian. There is a system underwhich "reports" hide comments. Someone learned it and is abusing the "report abuse" system. All it does is make extra work for The Olympian staff and eventually, they close the thread.

And THEN they complain about "freedom of speech"......

4 comments:

Anonymous98507 said...

Larry, the following is from Ms. McGee in response to a question I asked her. Note the warning that the Olympian's Interactive Manager will be monitoring comments for the next week and that he has even less patience with the children than Tammy has.

... When I start getting abuse reports from both/either side that are just meant to hide the others comments, that’s when I tend to get annoyed, and if it doesn’t stop with a warning, I shut down the comments.

I get very annoyed when I post a warning, meant to give everyone a chance to tone it down, and either side reports the warning as abuse to hide it. That’s when I usually stop warning, and close the thread. Today however, I didn’t close the thread, I blocked the user. I’m on vacation for a week after today, and our Interactive manager will be a lot less tolerant than I am, and I don’t consider myself over-tolerant. He will have neither the time, nor the inclination to try to settle anyone down, he’ll just close the thread.
Tammy McGee

Anonymous98507 said...

BTW, Tammy gave me permission to post her words from our private conversation.

Kardnos said...

98507:

Thanks for your "investigative work" and the interaction with The Olympian staff. They need to hear from more than just me.

I'm "old school" media, pre-interactive days, but I do remember the work load and I know that no newspaper has time to babysit people that are dead set on violation of terms of service and attempts to circumvent convenience features to the point of abuse. I thought McGee displayed incredible patience when her post was hidden by manipulation of the report system.

Bottom line from Larry? I think there is nothing these (this) people (person) would like better than to shut down the thread. It becomes their "power" so to speak.

Those of us that appreciate The Olympian forum will have to work hard to maintain a level of decorum and bring our screaming rants here.

They KNOW I won't tolerate their games and I could give a rat's ass about their whine of "freedom of speech.

sparkle said...

I called the O around non today, and spoke at length with Tammy, who seems to be a lovely person. She shared the same information with me that Anonymous 98507 stated. I did share with her that I feel the lte comment section is important for the community, and can be a really positive form of communication, yet the kids in the sandbox throwing sand are annoying. She totally agreed. Some names have been pulled due to abuse, StMartain aka a million other user names. The one who uses the term "spackle" is on warning, and that term no longer allowed.

Next week should prove interesting!

I see our posts were reinstated.