To Participate on Thurstonblog

email yyyyyyyyyy58@gmail.com, provide profile information and we'll email your electronic membership


Sunday, December 13, 2009

It started out reasonable....

Sunday's Olympian LTE thread started as a pretty good discussion, with points being made relating to, and not relating to the letters. As the day wore on, the typical cast of characters got out of control.

There is something going on and I've started to dig in. For some strange reason, there were a multitude of moderations dropped on "Reasoned Discussion's" posts. I personally checked them all out and, other than not being directed at a letter (which many posts weren't), they were well within the guidelines of The O. At that point, I called The Olympian and was told that no one could help me with online comments - "no one is here". So I posted that I'd had enough and would contact management tomorrow.

Tammy McGee, a staffer, then checked in and identified herself, thus no violation of disclosure on my part. She, or someone, wiped out about a page of posts, inclusive of mine - why, I'm not sure, because some posts left up, were definitely intended to antagonize people. Note: Since my original post, I got a comment (moved to this thread) that indicates that Tammy had cautioned people and they "reported" her thread to extinction

So, I've sent Tammy an email, stating my desire to be part of the solution and that I know others would like to do the same, but that we need to understand who is in control and how that control is being moderated. I've also asked about meeting with management to maybe form a community moderation board. Basically, any idea to salvage what can be a very fun interaction and a community asset.

So far, Tammy has been very fair and helpful. I'll give her the first shot, then see where it needs to go.

I encourage all to express their concerns and solutions to The Olympian.

2 comments:

Kardnos said...

Editing Note: I've taken the liberty of moving this post over to this thread - LH

Anonymous98507 said...
Well, the unruly children succeeded in riling Tammy McGee who posted, "... There are more than 150 abuse reports from you guys bickering on here. I'm working from home, and on my own time, I might add. Keep your conversations to a dull roar, and stop reporting each other. Most of your comments are being hidden because you're reporting each other."

Then the ever-so-couth "Ernie" mouthed off to Tammy that it didn't matter to "him" if she took it down. If it didn't matter, then why was "he" bothering to post?

Now I see that the children have reported Tammy's post enough times to hide it! Sheesh....

December 13, 2009 8:42 PM

Kardnos said...

Editing note: I've taken the liberty of moving the following post from it's original thread - LH

sparkle said...
Larry, I'll be emailing the O in the morning to show my support as well. I've been checking in now and again to see if the creeps have crept away, however they seem to be, again, "morphing" themselves. I enjoy the LTE for a healthy exchange of viewpoints, not the fucking crap that a small few on the right have been dishing out. Whining assholes, that are clueless on the freedom of speech stuff!

December 13, 2009 8:34 PM